Thursday, December 9, 2010

Let The Ass Kicking Begin!

I woke/regained consciousness early, probably around 6AM. It was the morning of Erik's memorial and I felt pretty good as I readied myself to have breakfast with the Amtser and the Andster. 

Now you're probably asking yourself, 'how is it that this guy isn't completely hungover. The answer is I should have been, but there's an old saying that if you've drunk through the point of getting hungover, it's a bad thing. That, like many old wives tales, turns out to be firmly rooted in some truth. You see I used to get the worst hangovers you could possibly imagine. I'm talking, end up in the hospital, skull shattering hangovers, but it had been well over a decade since I had the ability to become hungover and as it turns out that is a very bad thing!

Amy, Andy and I went for breakfast, although I didn't eat anything before heading to the memorial. I popped a couple of lorazepams to take the edge off just before we arrived.

At that point I was having quite a bit of trouble walking from neuropathy in my legs that was brought on, (although I did not know it at the time) from years of hard drinking.

After we arrived I saw Nancy and hugged her, before going to the bathroom to take another lorazepam and wait in dread for my parents to arrive. While my parents and I have always had a strained relationship, the real reason that I was dreading their arrival was that they would get in the way of my drinking plans. Which without, even with the lorazepam was beginning to prove to be a challenge and my mind began to wander to the bottle of vodka in my bag in Amy and Andy's car. I was wondering one, if I could get to it before my parents arrived (take the edge off, you know) and two, if I get the drink could I cover it up on my breath. I sucked it up and decided I was going to make it through. It was then my parents arrived.

The look of sadness, concern and disgust on my parents faces was hard not to notice, as I did my best to wobble to them with a cheerful greeting.

There were over 400 guests in attendance and soon we were all seated and the memorial was to begin.

I sat center stage midway back with my parents on one side and Amy on the other, trying to steady the camera in my now shaky hands. I realized that whether I wanted to or not,I would not be getting that drink.

The memorial was magical! It was sad, funny, uplifting, you name it. If there was an emotion to be touched, it was and Amy, Andy and Dean did the most marvelous job of recording every heartfelt moment. You literally lived Erik's life through the eyes and words of those who knew and loved him best. We should all be transitioned to our next destination with such overwhelming love and genuine affection.

I began to get nervous that someone might ask me to speak and with the trouble I was having holding my camera in my now vigorously shaking hands, I began to think that I wouldn't be able to do it. 

If only I could have a quick drink or ten.

After four hours the memorial ended and despite the unpleasantness I was experiencing, it went by in what felt like an instant... it had been such a moving event.

This is when Erik stepped in!

Everyone began to file out laughing and getting ready to head over to Erik and Nancy's home to continue to celebrate his amazing life. I could wait, as I was now in serious need of a drink. I went to stand, but Erik had other plans for me.

I literally felt as if someone was standing on my shoulders and refusing to let me stand. I sat back down and tried again, no luck and again the legs were just not going to lift me up. They were buckling and shaking as if the weight of the world were upon them. 

No, it was just Erik and he was not going to let this go unnoticed.

A crowd was now beginning to form around me, my parents, Amy, Andy, Dean, friends of Erik, all greatly concerned about my well being. I tried to convince them all I was fine saying, 'That I just need a moment or some food.

Yes, that was it, all I needed was some food. I mean, I hadn't eaten  anything. I would be just fine if I just ate something. Amy brought me a cookie.

I thought,'If I could just have a drink I would be fine.

That was when Amy I believe, brought over a friend of Erik's who was a doctor. I don't really remember exactly what she said, but it led to me being helped, struggling against my crumbling legs to my parents' car and being driven to the nearest medical care possible. It was then that I had my first, albeit fleeting thought, as I obviously had more pressing concerns, that Erik was somehow behind this.

Next: Erik was not even close to being done with me yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment